The heat waves are beginning to reach the living room. The house plants are thirstier, the window sills dustier, and the workouts sweatier. Summer has arrived and while the bottles are being filled multiple times for the refrigerator- an inconvenience that can be wiped out with iLIV’s cold water feature, one can’t miss the chance to add some exciting summer concoctions to welcome the summer season.
We wanted to list an extensive list, but thought it would be better to stick to the classics and a few novel experiments. Who knows your favorite is already a part of this exclusive list!
Golden Berry Ice-tea
Summer and ice tea seem to enjoy a symbiotic relationship. In fact, most ice tea lovers have their jugs ready as soon as summer sets in- each day. Making an iced tea concoction and letting it soak in the refrigerator has got to be the best summer decision ever. Also, this particular ice tea tastes best one day after its creation, so please keep your patience on high and let the flavours settle in for a day before you dive in.
- Prepare 1.5L rooibos tea following packet directions. Cool the tea and pour into an ice-cube tray, while reserving the rest
- Add a mint leaf to each ice-cube hole and freeze
- Combine the reserved tea with 1.5L apple, peach and apricot juice
- Divide in glasses, top with tea ice-cubes and garnish with sliced lemon and lime skins
- Enjoy your marvellous creation
Cool It Strawberry
A pleasing combination which makes you breathe a sigh of relief after a sweltering day. Once made, you are bound to marvel at its beautiful colour while sipping your way to a blessed summer. Also be ready for exclamations of delight from all your tasters. As to sharing the recipe, even though it is extremely simple- it’s best if you keep it to yourself while being the perfect host for the summer season.
- Place watermelon, strawberries and sorbet in a blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into glasses, top with the ginger ale and decorate with paper umbrellas
- Sip refreshment into your day, while having the perfect photographs for the gram
Watermelon and Basil cooler
This combination makes one salivate even before getting the ingredients home. Watermelon with basil is the definition of refreshing and feels like an ocean of coolness right from the first sip.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out 16 balls from one half of the watermelon. Place on a tray and freeze for 1 hour
- Chill 4 glass tumblers. Roughly chop the remaining watermelon, discard the rind, and place in a blender with ice cubes. Whiz until the mixture is smooth and slushy
- Arrange the watermelon balls in the chilled tumblers, and insert 2 basil leaves down the side of each glass
- Click pictures, if you can before taking your first swig
Fruity summer cooler
If strawberries are your first love, this fruity summer cooler is going to be perfect for you. Made of a blend of ingredients that lend a combination of refreshing, delicious, and fruity all in one go. If you can master this, you can go ahead and call yourself the Master of Summer Siestas.
- Whiz strawberries in a blender to a puree. Strain the strawberry puree through a sieve, pressing down with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible
- Fill a large jug with plenty of ice, then add orange slices, cucumber, mint and extra strawberries
- Top up with lemonade. Serve in chilled glasses
Watermelon agua fresca
This one might require extra time but will lead you to a drink that is definitely going to be an all-summer hit. A Spanish origin, it owes its name to that region and works best to soothe one’s thirst when the heat is unbearable. It also makes for a great welcome drink for an afternoon summer party.
- Peel the watermelon, and cut it into pieces. Place the watermelon and any juices in a blender, in batches, and blend until smooth
- Transfer to a bowl, then add lime juice, sugar and mint. Stir to dissolve sugar, then cover and stand at room temperature for an hour
- Pass the watermelon mixture through a sieve, pressing down on the solids
- Pour the watermelon juice into a large jug of ice, add lime slices and mint sprigs
- Enjoy your summer drink all the way from Spain
Summer can be a taxing season, but if one adds the right liquids to one’s diet- it is not only going to be super delicious, it is also going to keep your body cool. Which recipe would you be trying out this season?